South Indian cuisine is known for its healthy recipes and rava idli (suji idli) is one of the simple recipes which combines the goodness of many dals and spices. It’s not just healthy and irresistible but also very easy to prepare too. Nowadays there are few ready-made instants Rava idly packs available in the market which just required adding some water and steaming. However, nothing can beat the taste of authentic preservative free soft and fluffy homemade idli.
HOW TO MAKE Rava Idli
roasting rava to make Rava Idli
- heat 2 tsp ghee or oil in a pan.
- add the Rava (sooji) and roast in the ghee or oil till they become aromatic and change colour.
- keep on stirring often when roasting them.
- remove the roasted rava in a mixing bowl and keep aside.
- making tempering for rava idli
- in the same pan, heat 1 tsp oil again and fry the cashews in the ghee.
- remove and add the fried cashews to the rave in the mixing bowl.
- in the same pan, add 1 tsp oil more and heat it.
- splutter mustard seeds. then add chana dal, curry leaves & asafoetida. fry till the chana dal become golden.
making Rava idli batter
- then add this whole mixture to the roasted rava.
- add curd (yoghurt) along with chopped ginger, green chillies and salt.
- add water as required and make a batter which is neither thin nor thick.
- keep aside covered for 20-30 minutes.
- after 20-30 minutes, if the batter looks thick, then add a few tablespoons of water to get a medium consistency. rava absorbs water and so the batter might thicken after 20 to 30 minutes.
steaming Rava Idli
- heat water in a steamer, electric cooker or pressure cooker.
- just before steaming, add baking soda in the batter and mix well.
- pour the rava idli batter in greased idli moulds.
- place the idli stand in the electric cooker, steamer or pressure cooker.
- steam the rava idli for 10 to 12 minutes or more till a toothpick inserted in the idlis come out clean.
- remove the rava idli from the mould and serve the steaming hot rava idli with idli podi or with your favourite coconut chutney and sambar.
INGREDIENTS FOR Rava Idli
(1 CUP = 250 ML)
ingredients for rava idli
- 1 cup Rava (sooji or semolina or cream of wheat)
- ½ cup dahi – fresh or sour (yoghurt or dahi)
- 1 generous pinch baking soda * check notes
- 2.5 to 3 tablespoon water or more – add accordingly and as required to get a medium consistency batter – which is neither thick nor thin.
- 1 green chilli, chopped (Hari mirch)
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped (adrak)
- 10 to 12 cashews, chopped (kaju)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ghee or oil for roasting the rava
- 1 teaspoon oil for frying the cashews
- salt as required
for tempering Rava Idli
- 1 to 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon chana dal
- 10 to 12 curry leaves, chopped (kadi patta)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (Hing)