Ragi ladoo is delicious, healthy & nutrient dense ladoos made with ragi flour, jaggery, nuts & seeds. This ragi ladoo or nachni laddu make an amazing snack for toddlers, kids & women. I have made these countless number of times for my family & always turn out wonderful.ragi or nachni or finger millet is a healthy grain and should be included in the food that we make. being very rich in calcium it is excellent for kids and women. I have got a lot of requests to add ragi recipes. so will add them one by one. usually, I just add some ragi flour in the everyday roti dough I make and that’s how we include ragi in our diet. I also make ragi kheer, ragi halwa, ragi dosa ,ragi rotis and ragi idli at times. on occasions, I make ragi pooris too.
How to make nachni ladoo or ragi ladoo recipe
- Take 1cups ragi flour (nachni or finger millet flour) in a kadai or a thick bottomed broad pan.
- keep the pan on a low flame or sim and begin to roast the ragi flour. you have to stir often while roasting the flour so that there is even roasting.
- roast till the colour changes and you get a nice aroma from the ragi flour. about 6 to 8 minutes on a low flame. timing will vary with the material, size and thickness of the pan. I used a steel kadai which does not have a thick bottomed base, thus it took me just 6 minutes to roast the ragi flour.
- then add ⅓ cup ghee in the flour.
- the ghee will melt.
- begin to mix the ghee with the flour.
- keep on stirring and roasting this mixture for 5 to 7 minutes more. again here timing will vary with the material, size and thickness of the pan.
- do check the taste of the ragi flour and you will get a crunchy taste. there should be no rawness in the taste. it took me 5 minutes to get the roasting done at this step, due to the steel kadai I used.
- then switch off the flame & place the pan down. add ½ teaspoon cardamom powder.
- next add ¾ cup jaggery powder. you can also grate a block of jaggery and then add. you can use powdered sugar instead of jaggery, but add sugar as per taste.
- begin to mix very well.
- break the tiny lumps of jaggery if any with the spoon or spatula.
- let this ragi ladoo mixture become warm, then mix everything again very well with your hands and break small lumps if any with your hands.
- take a portion of the mixture and shape into laddoos. if you are unable to form ragi ladoos, then add a few tablespoons of ghee which is at room temperature. mix again very well and begin to shape the ladoos.
- make all ragi ladoos this way with the mixture.
- store ragi ladoo in an airtight jar or container. serve them as a sweet snack.
Ingredients for ragi ladoo
- 1 cups ragi flour or finger miller flour – sprouted or plain
- ¼ to ½ cup sesame seeds or any seeds or nuts (refer notes)
- 4 green cardamoms
- ¼ cup peanuts or any other nuts
- 150 grams jaggery or palm sugar or sugar (refer notes)
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut or copra (optional)
- 1 ½ to 2 tbsp Ghee or coconut oil