Masala Dosa is undeniably the most popular South Indian delicacy. It is a perfect fusion of spiced potato and crispy outer coating which makes it a healthy and delicious breakfast or brunch recipe. Masala Dosa is prepared with rice, lentils and spiced up with southern spices and herbs. Masala Dosa recipe is simply the Indian version of pancakes, this crispy Dosa recipe is often served with coconut chutney or green chutney and Sambhar. This Masala Dosa is made by stuffing lightly cooked potatoes, onions, green chillies and spices. Make sure that the batter is fermented well and your Masala Dosa will surely taste divine! Pair it with different chutney and some Payasam for a complete meal. This dish makes for a nice appetizer so, if you have guests dropping by who are fond of South Indian food then, this is a perfect go-to recipe for such sudden plans. To make it more delicious, you can add ingredients as per your taste preference. To make it more appealing, add some finely chopped coriander leaves, green chillies and sprinkle some crushed pepper. This simple yet quick recipe can be packed for road trips and picnics as it is less messy and is easy to carry. Moreover, if you are fond of South Indian food then, this one is certainly going to please your taste buds with its amazing flavours. You can also try Set Dosa, Ragi Dosa, Neer Dosa and Oats Dosa.
How to Make Masala Dosa
- Masala Dosa is one of the most popular South Indian delicacies. Here’s how you can prepare this delicious recipe at home! To prepare the batter for Masala Dosa, wash and soak the rice (with fenugreek added into it) and urad dal in separate containers for approximately 6-8 hours. Once the rice and urad dal are soaked well, grind them separately in a mixer, till the mixture gets a smooth consistency. Take the batter of both the ingredients in a bigger container and add salt to it. Allow it to ferment overnight.
- For preparing the filling of the dosa, heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan and let the mustard seeds splutter. Then, add sliced onions, curry leaves, green chillies and saute them till the onions turn pink. Then, add a pinch of salt and turmeric powder and mix them well. Now, take the cubed potatoes and add them to the sauteed onions and mix them together. Pour some water into the mixture and allow the potatoes to simmer the mixture for around 4 minutes. When the mixture is in the semi-thick state, turn off the gas knob and let it rest for a few seconds.
- Now take a dosa tawa and heat it on low-medium flame. Smear a little oil on it to prepare the dosa. When the tawa is hot, pour and spread the batter of urad dal and rice evenly into a circular motion.
- While the colour of dosa’s edges turns into brown, reduce the flame and sprinkle few drops of oil on the dosa sides and put 2 tablespoons of filling. Fold the dosa. Serve hot Masala Dosa with coconut chutney and sambhar.
Ingredients For masala dosa batter
- ½ cup urad dal or skinned black gram
- 1 tbsp chana dal or Bengal gram
- 1½ cup raw rice
- ½ cup parboiled rice or idli dosa rice ( or substitute with raw rice)
- 4 tbspbeaten rice or aval
- Non-iodized salt as needed
ingredients For potato masala
- 2 cups potatoes or aloo or 2 large or 3 medium
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ to ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 tsp chana dal or Bengal gram
- 1 tsp urad dal or skinned black gram
- 1 Pinch asafoetida or hing
- ¾ tsp ginger – grated or paste
- ¾ to 1 cup onions thinly sliced
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 green chilies chopped or sliced
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- Salt as needed
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped