Carrot Puttu and Beetroot puttu
Carrot Puttu is a South Indian side dish It is very simple to make, yet healthy. Carrots are nutritious and good for skin, eyes and overall health. Pottukadalai or Roasted Gram is low in calories and rich in iron. Combining both, you can create a nutritious and colourful side dish that tastes so delicious that even those hating carrot will start loving it, especially growing kids.
Carrot Puttu mixed with rice and little ghee makes a wonderful and healthy lunch box dish too. As a kid, my mom would often pack it for my lunch. With just appalam or papad or potato fry as a side dish…yumm. Carrot Puttu can also be served as a side dish with phulkas or chapatis.
Nutritious Carrot Puttu makes an excellent side dish for Rice with Kuzhambu or Sambar or Rasam or relishes it plain mixed with Rice.
Beetroot Puttu is an authentic Kerala breakfast. We like it a lot and tried making some beautiful and nutritious beetroot puttu….itz always good to add some veggies to our diet. especially if they can make the food more interesting and colourful for kids. Beetroot is a favourite of all in our home and I thoroughly enjoyed making this colourful dish.
How to Make carrot puttu
- Take a bowl, add rice powder and salt to taste, slowly sprinkle water and make soft puttu batter without sticking each other.
- Take a pan, add 1 tsp oil and saute onions with chilli and ginger garlic paste.
- Add grated carrots to it, add salt. Let it half cook
- Now take puttu maker, fill coconut first, then carrot mix and then soaked rice powder.
- I used chiratta puttu maker, let it steam for 10 minutes
- Serve hot with chutney or any spicy gravy
How to make beetroot puttu
- Heat pan with oil adds mustard seeds.
- Once it’s spluttered add Bengal gram & urad dal.
- Add onion sauté till soft then add green chilli & curry leaves sauté.
- Add beetroot sauté then add 2 tbsp coconut mix well.
- Add water & salt mix well cook till soft [for 3 min].
- Add coconut & roasted gram powder mix well then cut off heat & serve hot with rice
Ingredients for carrot puttu
- Steamed rice powder 250 gms
- Salt 1/2 Tsp
- Grated Coconut 50 gms
- Grated carrot 100 gms
- Ginger garlic paste 1/2 tsp
- Onion finely chopped 2 tbsp
- Green chilli finely chopped 1 Tsp
ingredients for beetroot puttu
- Beetroot – 1
- Coconut – ¼ cup
- Roasted gram[Chutney kadalai]- 1 tbsp [Freshly grind]
- Onion – 1 [chopped]
- Curry leaves – 1 spring
- Green chilli – ½ [Slit]
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder – ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
- Bengal gram – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Water as needed
Parotta is a griddle-fried roadside Indian flat layered bread, popular in Tamilnadu. paratha is a flatbread that originated in the Indian subcontinent. This popular street food fare is usually served with salna or kurma. The side dish with parottas include both vegetarian and non-vegetarian style gravy dishes. It is a common sight to find crowds thronging the roadside stalls where heaps of layered parottas hot off the stove are served with a curry both for breakfast and evening tiffin or dinner.
Chicken Gravy Recipe
Chicken Leg Curry is one of the most delicious curry recipes, here chicken is cooked in the unique marinade of curd and fresh cream. The ultimate Indian spices are ready to give the mind-blowing flavour to the dish.