Bread Halwa Recipe
Bread halwa recipe with video. Bread halwa is one of the most popular desserts from Hyderabadi cuisine. We get to see this mostly in Hyderabadi or Andhra restaurants served in a Hyderabadi meal. It is delicious, mouth melting and unique in its aroma and taste. However one can find a few different variations of this anywhere from light to quite heavy and dense in its texture. The recipe I am sharing yields a dessert that is neither too light nor too heavy and is apt to serve as an after meal dessert.
Be it the brown bread or the very common white bread, everyone loves to eat them with some butter and jam. However, there is an uncommon and mouth-watering dessert recipe that you can easily prepare for your family and friends. Bread Halwa is an easy-to-make sweet dish traditionally prepared in Hyderabadi cuisine and is truly delicious. This South Indian recipe is prepared with bread slices, milk, sugar, ghee, and mixed dry fruits. You can try this lip-smacking dessert recipe to treat your loved ones!
How to Make Bread Halwa
- To begin with, this delicious dessert recipe, put a deep-bottomed pan or a kadhai over medium flame and heat oil in it. When the oil is hot enough, crumble the bread slices in the pan and deep fry them till golden brown in colour. Once done, place these fried bread slices aside.
- Put another pan on medium flame and heat ghee in it. When the ghee is melted, add the raisins along with cashews and fry them till golden brown in colour. Turn off the flame, when done.
- Put another pan on high flame and boil milk in it. After a boil, add green cardamom powder, saffron powder, and sugar to it and mix well. You can use sugar syrup instead of adding sugar and cardamom powder to it separately if you like.
- Add the deep-fried bread in the milk pan and stir well, cook for a few minutes. Allow the mixture to thicken for a while. Once the mixture thickens, turn off the flame and allow it to cool down. Then, add fried cashews, pistachios, raisins and toasted almonds on top of the cooked bread. The bread halwa is now ready, serve warm with love.
Ingredients of Bread Halwa
- 18 bread slices
- 5 cup milk
- 2 cup of sugar
- 2 pinch powdered saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered green cardamom
- refined oil as required
- toasted almonds as required
- pistachios as required
- cashews as required
- 20 raisins
- 2 tablespoon ghee